It’s the most wonderful time of the year… It’s annual goal setting and planning time!
We all have our methods for goal setting, from using a framework we’ve refined over the years, to thinking for a few minutes about what we want and calling it a day. (As you may have guessed, I lean towards the former!) My own process is constantly changing. However, there is one step I do my best to never skip.
I always take the time to capture my wins.
Why is this worth your time?
It’s common sense that recalling wins feels good. And in many ways, that’s all we’re after. But if you’re thinking it’s a waste of time, or that it couldn’t add up to a more meaningful life, Tony has some words of wisdom.
“When people are feeling good all the time, they tend to treat others better, and they tend to maximize their potential as human beings.” — Tony Robbins, Awaken the Giant Within
Capture your wins
If you do just one thing this season in the spirit of annual goal planning, I hope it’s this! Put pen to paper and capture your big wins of the year.
Be sure to capture personal and professional wins. At work, updating this list every six months or so can be a lifesaver come performance review time. It can also help you gauge when it’s time to ask for a raise, especially if your job is one where extra responsibilities seem to mysteriously pile up over time.
Where will you find these wins?
- Look back on any goals you set for or during 2018.
- Consider habits you stopped, started, or changed.
- Look at wherever your life shows up in writing. For me, that’s my physical bullet journal, my online calendars, and my sent emails.
- Consider all areas of your life: work, money, community contribution, friends, family, romance, leisure, growth, health, physical environment, spirituality.
A step further
Celebrating wins isn’t something to do just once a year! I apply this philosophy to all of my planning processes.
This year, I customized my monthly planner from Mia Ellsworth & Co. to include a “big wins” section on each monthly spread. I capture my big wins each Monday as well, which I share with two of my business accountability partners in our weekly email thread. In my gratitude journal, which I write in nightly, I sometimes capture wins in the context of self-gratitude.
Where in your day-to-day life might it be easy to add a little celebration?
How was 2018?
Here are a few of my favorite 2018 wins:
- I coached my first paying client. 💵
- I’ve read 39 books so far. 📚
- I took an improv class. 🤡
- I submitted my memoir manuscript to an editor. ✍️
- I completed 30 days of Yoga With Adriene. 🧘
PC: Kimberly Bailey